· Super Rugby
by Brumbies Media

The Plus500 Brumbies enjoyed a well-earned bye over the weekend, recharging their batteries before this weekend’s clash with the Lions.

There were eight other games around Super Rugby this weekend, let’s take a look at ‘What Else Happened?’.


The Stormers continued their tour of New Zealand in Wellington, taking on an imposing Hurricanes side at Westpac Stadium.

The Hurricanes scored four tries to one in the first half, including the first three to charge to an imposing 22-10 lead at the break.

Four straight SP Marais penalties to start the second half tied the game up at 22-22 but it was nowhere near enough, three late tries sealing a 41-22 bonus point win for the Hurricanes.


The surprising Cheetahs hosted the Highlanders at Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein in what was undoubtedly the match of the round.

Many predicted a Highlanders walkover but the Cheetahs had other plans, the home side racing out to a 15-10 halftime lead and scoring almost immediately after the break.

The Highlanders hit back quickly with two tries of their own, taking a 24-22 lead with half an hour to play.

The Cheetahs kicked into gear, the South African side scoring three brilliant long range tries in the space of 10 minutes to run out to a seemingly unassailable 41-24 lead with only four minutes left to play.

Not willing to give up, the Highlanders continued to push and were rewarded, three tries in four minutes including the game winner after the siren to Waisake Naholo gifting them an improbable 45-41 victory.


An injury decimated Melbourne Rebels hosted the African Conference leading Lions at AAMI Park, the Rebels hoping to rediscover some form.

Unfortunately for the home side it was one way traffic all afternoon, The Lions scoring six tries to their opponents one in a point scoring clinic by the South Africans.

The Lions starting the tour off on the right foot, defeating the Rebels 47-10.


The Chiefs hosted the Reds in Waikato, the home side looking to bounce back after failing to secure a bonus point against the Sunwolves the previous week.

The Chiefs played like a team with something to prove, scoring six tries to their opponents three and controlling the game from start to finish.

The 46-17 bonus point victory put the Chiefs back in the hunt for the New Zealand Conference title.


 The Waratahs hosted the Blues at Allianz Stadium, the home side looking for a bonus point win that would put them equal top of the Australian Conference.

It was a disastrous start for the Waratahs, the home side conceding two tries and four penalties to fall into a 26-0 hole at the end of the first half.

Early second half tries to Israel Folau and Tolu Latu put the Tahs back in the hunt before Rieko Ioane completed his hat-trick and his brother Akira put the game out of reach.

Late tries to Folau and replacement prop Paddy Ryan salvaged a bonus point for the Waratahs but that was it, the home side slumping to a 40-33 defeat.


The Force made the trip to Durban, hoping to take down a talented Sharks side in South Africa.

The visitors put in a strong first half, a great try to winger James Verity-Amm giving them a 7-6 lead until just before halftime, a Jeremy Ward try giving the Sharks a 13-7 lead at the break.

The second half was all Sharks however, the home side scoring three tries their opponents one and taking a 37-12 bonus point victory.


The Bulls hosted the Crusaders in Pretoria, hoping to kick start their season with a win over the undefeated kiwi side.

Unfortunately, the Bulls were under the pump from the start, the Crusaders blitzing the home side with a five try first half and 31-3 halftime lead that they were unable to recover from.

The Bulls added four tries of their own in the second half but the Crusaders added another five, the visitors keeping their undefeated status with a 62-24 bonus point victory.


The Jaguares hosted the Sunwolves in Buenos Aires in a battle of Super Rugby’s two newest teams.

The first half was a see-saw battle, the Sunwolves scoring three tries to the Jaguares’ two and taking a 25-15 lead into the break.

Both sides scored two tries in the first 20 minutes of the second half before the Jaguares kicked into gear, three tries in seven minutes giving the Argentinians a 46-39 victory over the Sunwolves.