Brumbies Provincial steal win from Australian Police XV

Like a thief in the night the Brumbies Provincial team snatched a 25-23 win after the full-time siren from Australian Police XV, at Canberra Stadium on Saturday. 

With just 14 minutes left to play the Provincial Brumbies showed a never say die attitude, gunning down a the 13 point lead held by Australian Police XV.


Wearing jersey number 19, it was Brumbies Provincial flyhalf Jack Burey, who got the job done, much to the delight of his teammates and the building home crowd.


“I didn’t get the chance to practice this week and I didn’t play last week so it was pretty good to get the one that counts. Said a relieved Burey.


“It was always going to be tough to get two late tries but I’m just glad my kick went over in the end.”


Australian Police XV came out swinging early, looking threatening with numerous attacking raids lead by Dusty Elsom and Jamie McDonald, however Brumbies Provincial were able to repel the constant pressure.


After being promoted from the bench to starting flyhalf, Jack Burey, got the scoreboard ticking over with a successful penalty conversion 13 minutes in.


Brumbies Provincial were able to hold onto this lead, until a barnstorming Gary McNeil touched down following some smart forward play at the breakdown from Australian Police XV.


With the score now 8-3, Australian Police XV looked to have found their attacking mojo, with Jamie Mcdonald testing out the Brumbies Provincial defence with some enterprising backline play.


Mcdonald couldn’t get his team over the line with their high percentage of possession, so he used his boot instead, extending their lead to 11-3. 


The game was given a new lease of life just on the stroke of half time when the Brumbies own James Whitely scored straight from the back of the lineout. The scoreboard now read 11-10 in the visitors favour.


Whatever was said at halftime to Australian Police XV seemed to work, as they immediately lifted the tempo of the game and reaped the rewards with another try to Gary McNeil, then another when halfback Jim Goodall snuck over.


But Brumbies Provincial stemmed the tide and showed their never say die attitude. Through the fleet-footed Hamish Wrafter, they were able to split the Australian Police XV defence on the counter attack, putting Xavier Chigwidden over for a five-pointer.


The score now was 23-15 in Polices favour and things weren’t looking good for the visitors when Louie Levett scored and Jack Burey converted to cut Police XV’s lead to one point with five minutes to play.


Brumbies fans who got to the game early were the benefactors when Brumbies Provincial surged downfield to apply the pressure with two minutes left on the clock. 


Australian Police XV then gave away a crucial penalty on full-time and flyhalf Jack Burey stepped up and won the game for his team. The Final score 25-23.


Australian Police Rugby captain Dusty Elsom was realistic in assessing his teams performance following the game.


“Everytime we play them it is a tough game, they’ve always got some big country boys who hit the ball up constantly and they just keep coming in waves.


“We started really well, the way wanted too…a couple of times we just missed our throws on the lineout’s and that let us down in the end.” He said.


Brumbies Provincial 25 [TRIES: James Whitely, Xavier Chigwidden, Louie Levett. PENALTY GOALS: Jack Burey 1/3 Chigwidden 0/1. CONVERSIONS: Burey 1/1 Chigwidden 0/1]


Australian Police XV 23  [TRIES: Gary Mcneil 2, Jim Goodall. PENALTY GOALS: Jamie Mcdonald 2/2. CONVERSIONS: Jamie Mcdonald 1/3]