In its first iteration, the 2019 Capital Cup was a roaring success, the Brumbies U19’s taking home the silverware though rugby was the real winner.
Condition at Gungahlin Enclosed were cruel but every player from the 19’s, ACT Griffins and Brumbies Provincial pulled no punches, the action swift and abrasive from the late morning kick-off.
First up was the eagerly awaited matchup between the Griffin’s and the Brumbies youngsters. The John I Dent all-stars got off to a hot start, dominating the physical exchanges particularly at scrum time, the fledgling Brumbies struggling to cope with the power coming from the much more experiences Griffin’s pack.
The Champion’s held firm however, and as the club stars began to tire, the Brumbies forced their way back into the game. In the end, the two sides couldn’t be separated, a 19-19 draw throwing the competition wide open.
Waiting in the wings was a Brumbies provincial side who few thought would compete with the Capital teams. Well, they must not have received the form guide, because from the outset, the Provincial boys showed they were there to play taking an early lead against the Griffins.
It took until about ten minutes left in the second half for the Griffins to finally cement the win, having scrapped for a slim lead for most of the game. In the end, Craig Robberd’s men’s quality shone through. 24-10 meant the Brumbies U19’s needed to win by more than 14 to win the tournament.
Similar to the first game, the Provincial side were excellent at times and played some great rugby but were undone by fatigue late and the 19’s capitalised. Scoring seven tries for a 36-10 victory, the Brumbies romped home to take the tournament chocolates.
ACT Griffins 19 (T: Sione Mau, Mitch Tye, Callum Richardson, C: Pedro Rolando (2)) Brumbies U19 19 (T: John Madjaga, Jack Kearns, Byron Hollingworth)
ACT Griffins 24 (T: Jake Helgesen, Billy Carberry, Callum Richardson, Mitch Tye, C: Isaac Walker (2)) Brumbies Provincial 10 (T: Eroni Naua, Vaughn Scott)
Brumbies U19 36 (T: Davea Teoteo, Connor Smith, John Lalotoa, Liae Tuiloiyi, Tiko Twist, Isaac Crowe, C: Jed Englert (2), Joey Caputo) Brumbies Provincial 10 (T: Ben Chettham (2))
1. Sione Mau (Griffins / Royals)
2. Tom Boyle (Provincial / Albury)
3. Rob Whiltshire (Provincial / Wagga Waratahs)
4. Tom Hooper (Under 19 / Tuggeranong)
5. Eroni Naua (Provincial / Leeton)
6. Jack Kearns (Under 19 / ADFA)
7. Mitch Tye (Griffins / Wests)
8. Lachie Osborne (Griffins / Uni-Norths)
9. Joel Atkins (Under 19 / Gungahlin)
10. Isaac Walker (Griffins / Gungahlin)
11. Callum Richardson (Griffins / Uni-Norths)
12. Riley Turner (Provincial / Braidwood)
13. Jack Gilmore (Under 19 / Queanbeyan)
14. Vaughan Scott (Provincial / Tumut)
15. Brendan Jimenez (Under 19 / Queanbeyan)