Owls take the Heritage Round Spoils

Owls take the Heritage Round Spoils

Owls were comfortable winners over Easts, 41-17 in front of a huge crowd of Uni-Norths supporters in the match of the round at ANU North Oval.

This strong win by the Owls punctuated the 80th year anniversary celebrated by the club. The myrtle green of the Northern Suburbs club was worn by the Owls to commemorate the history behind the match and provided some great nostalgia for many supporters.

The Owls seemed to be firmly in control for the entire match. However, Easts were the first try scorers through second rower Peni Nifo who powered over to score in the corner, making a difficult kick for winger George Morseu. Morseu missed to leave the score 5 nil.

Minutes later Owls dangerous winger Callum Richardson grubbered a kick down the touch line that was misfielded by the Easts fullback leaving a miraculous try for Richardson.

Winger Sam Irwin converted the score to put the Owls ahead.

Owls captain David Bennett was the next to score, reaching out to score from a pick and drive. Irwin was again successful with the conversion; the score was then 14-5.

Just before halftime Easts scored a crucial try to keep them competitive in the game. Damaging number 8 Langi Lolotonga was the scorer, Morseu made no mistake in converting this time. The score at the end of the half was 14-12.

It was all one-way traffic in the second half, the Owls lifting in front of their large crowd of supporters. Owls fullback Jordan Thompson was the first to score, Irwin failed with the conversion.

Owls captain David Bennett was in again to score, selling a great dummy to put himself over. Irwin converted.

Thompson had a hand in the next try scored as well, slicing through the Easts defenders on a 40-metre run to set up break away Dan Parete for a try. Irwin was again unsuccessful with the kick.

Easts gave away a penalty near 40 metres out from their own line, enough opportunity for Sam Irwin to kick a penalty for the Owls.

Owls winger Callum Richardson was in for another try following sustained pressure in the Easts half. Irwin converted.

Easts finished the scoring with a consolation try to George Morseu. He showed his electric pace as he torched down the touchline for a fantastic try.

Owls coach Tony Doherty was proud of his men’s performance and was glad they delivered the win for the supporters,

“It capped off an emotional week in the fact that it was the 80th. We’ve got a lot of old boys here watching the game. It’s been really good, we had the pressure of all that on us but we just focused on the rugby.

Doherty says he’s also very greatful for the club support,

“Its great having that support on the sideline and there’s a lot of people here that have travelled a long way to get to the ground so that’s great.”

Easts coach Tim Cornforth was clearly disappointed with the loss but certainly not disheartened. He says what made the difference in the game was controllable mistakes,

“We were there, it’s been like that the last couple of weeks but it’s just silly mistakes and one per centres. They out enthused us with the ball. We’re still in the run, so on to the next game.”

The first half was competitive for Easts, but Cornforth says that in order to get their next win his men need to play hard to the final whistle,

“It’s the same as the last couple of weeks, we’re there we just got to play the full 80 minutes. We haven’t played that since our last win. The boys show passion, but we need to play for the full 80 minutes.”

It was a very successful day for the Owls, Colts, 2nd grade and first grade all picking up a win. This ensured a big night was to be had by all as the club united to celebrate the past 80 years of the club.

We only accept payment via Visa and Mastercard. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes! Dismiss