12 Jun Lonergan and Ross start for Junior Wallabies Italian tussle
Plus500 Brumbies scrumhalf Ryan Lonergan has returned to the starting XV for the Junior Wallabies crunch clash with Italy as the Aussies go hunting for a fifth place finish.
The other Brumby to start, Tom Ross is selected at tighthead after being one of the Wallabies most impressive performers in the tournament.
The only other ACT selection sees Mack Hansen included in the reserves, a potential game-winner off the bench for Australia’s Italian job.
The Junior Wallabies will face off against Italy early on Wednesday morning as the young Australian side continues its battle for rankings at the World Rugby U20s Championship in France.
Australia will play in the Fifth Place Semi Final, kicking off at 12.30am AEST from Narbonne on Wednesday 13 June with the match to be broadcast LIVE on FOX SPORTS.
For Australia Queensland Reds flyhalf, Hamish Stewart will combine with Lonergan in the halves with Bayley Kuenzle coming in for Isaac Lucas in the centres.
Junior Wallabies Head Coach, Jason Gilmore said: “Italy have played some really good Rugby at this tournament and they are an exciting team.
“They only lost one game in their Pool to England and have threats all over the park, which we look forward to meeting.
“It’ll be a different style of Rugby to what we have played this year, so the team will have to be ready for the challenge and to adapt.”
In the other battle for Fifth Place, Argentina will meet Wales.
Junior Wallabies vs Italy
- Harry Hoopert, Queensland, Brothers
- Efi Ma’afu, Queensland, Wests
- Tom Ross, ACT, Gungahlin
- Angus Blyth, Queensland, Bond University
- Harry Hockings, Queensland, University of Queensland
- Michael Wood, Queensland, Brothers
- Fraser McReight, Queensland, Brothers
- Pat Tafa, NSW, Norths
- Ryan Lonergan, ACT, Vikings
- Hamish Stewart, Queensland, Bond University
- Jordan Petaia, Queensland, Wests
- Bayley Kuenzle, NSW, Southern Districts
- Semisi Tupou, Victoria, Box Hill
- Matt McTaggart, NSW, Easts
- Lawson Creighton, Queensland, Brothers
- Matt Faessler, Queensland, Brothers
- George Francis, NSW, Eastwood
- Charlie Hancock, NSW, Sydney University
- Hugh Margin, NSW, Gordon
- Rory Suttor, NSW, Sydney University
- Tate McDermott, Queensland, University of Queensland
- Will Harrison, NSW, Randwick
- Mack Hansen, ACT Gungahlin