Vikings Romp to Win over Eagles

Vikings Romp to Win over Eagles

Tuggeranong Vikings put on a first-half show to blitz Gungahlin Eagles at a windy Gungahlin Enclosed on Saturday afternoon to claim their first win of the Griffin Legal John I Dent Cup season. The Eagles had no response to a rapid-fire Vikings attack that tore the hosts apart in a one-sided first half, paving the way for a 66-22 victory.

Whilst the weather at Gungahlin Enclosed was to play havoc, both the Eagles and the Vikings were looking to chalk up their first win of the season, following narrow one-point losses to Queanbeyan and Royals respectively.

With the game being their first home game of the year, and their welcome to country ceremony before kick-off, Eagles would’ve been looking to get off to a good start, but it was the visitors who came out firing, with Jordan Jackson-Hope crossing over right under the posts two minutes in to give Vikings the lead, with Brendan Teauki converting to extend the lead.

Eagles responded quickly however, with Isaac Fines juggling the ball right before crossing over. Unfortunately, Isaac Walker was unable to get the conversion, his attempt being held up by the wind.  This would prove to be Eagles only points of the half, with Vikings dominating play for the remaining half an hour.

Following a lineout, Vikings captain Isaac Thompson looked for a runner before deciding to go himself, crossing over in the 10th minute to extend the visitors lead to 12-5, with Teauki converting once again to make it 14-7.

Vikings dominated eagles for the remainder of the second half, with tries to Cameron Holt, Len Ikitau, Angus Allen, Isiah Tittor, and fullback Brendan Teauki scoring a first half hattrick and scoring all but two of the conversion to help Vikings to 59-5 lead over Eagles in the first half.

It was an improved second half from the home side, scoring back to back tries through Jamie Kotz and Mack Hansen, with Isaac Walker missing one conversion and scoring the other, making the score 17-59 in favor of the Vikings with under 15 minutes to go.

The Eagles defense was much improved in the second half, only conceding one try in the 68th minute, being scored by Brendan Teauki, his fourth for the game. Following a good push upfield, Jamie Kotz was able to cross over for his second of the game in the 73rd minute, Walker converting soon after to make it 24-66 to the Vikings.

This proved to be the final score of the game as the referee called time seven minutes later with the Vikings comprehensive winners.

Words: Declan Smith

We only accept payment via Visa and Mastercard. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes! Dismiss