Tahs claim last second victory

The Waratahs have scored a try with just nine seconds remaining to steal a win from the CA Technologies Brumbies at Canberra Stadium, continuing a difficult period for the ACT based team.

The CA Technologies Brumbies had a chance to draw the game in the dying moments when a converted try to Ben Alexander pulled the scores to 22-22, but it wasn’t to be as Waratah Sitaleki Timani powered over the try line with the siren sounding in the background.

Despite playing hard all night, Captain Matt Giteau was bitterly disappointed with the result having come so close to turning his team’s season around.

“There was a big defensive effort, I’m disappointed to get that close,” Giteau said.

“The boys just need to regroup, come back Monday ready to work again. We played for each other but unfortunate we didn’t get the result.

“There’s still 11 games where we can get points, there’s still a lot to play for and that’s what the group believes.”

Head Coach Tony Rea was also frustrated with the match but insisted the season will go on in spite of the team’s tough losing streak.

“It’s just a little passage we’re going through – the ball isn’t bouncing our way, we’ll pull tight and come through the other end,” Rea said.

“I thought the guys looked comfortable and confident out there … it was a tight contest out there it’s just that game of little inches.”

A crowd of 18,011 people gathered to watch the match of the round, with many travelling down the Hume Highway to see the sky blues claim a win.

After hitting an early lead through a penalty to Kurtley Beale, the CA Technologies Brumbies regained composure – partly due to a whopping kick from Beal which rolled almost 80 meters dead in goal.

Upon return to the CA Technologies Brumbies quarter, NSW conceded a penalty which was sent over the black dot by Giteau to bring the score back to 3-3.

Tit for tat penalties continued throughout the first half, with Giteau and Beale missing just one shot each, carrying their teams to the half time break 12-12.

The second half started in an electrifying fashion, with breaks in the Waratahs defence allowing for free flowing rugby from the CA Technologies Brumbies.

Darting runs from Henry Speight, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Ita Vaea put the ACT based team on the front foot and after Waratahs centre Tom Carter was binned for interfering with play, Giteau put his team into the lead with his fifth penalty of the game.

The CA Technologies Brumbies held the lead for the remained of Carter’s spell in the bin but could not register a try.

The try drought was broken in the 59th minute when Ryan Cross collected a clever kick from Beale to score in the left hand corner.

That conversion was successful, and when Beale added another penalty just minutes later the Tahs grabbed a seven-point lead, 22-15.

The CA Technologies Brumbies rolling play continued to take shape late into the second half, when try scoring monster Alexander drove across the line to pull his team within two points.

A disallowed try to replacement winger Atieli Pakalani kept the CA Technologies Brumbies in with a sniff, but constant pressure on the line finally resulted in points for the Waratahs. Former CA Technologies Brumby Timani claiming the win for his new team.

NSW WARATAHS 29 (Ryan Cross, Sitaleki Timani tries Kurtley Beale 2 cons 5 pens) bt CA TECHNOLOGIES BRUMBIES 22 (Ben Alexander try Matt Giteau con 5 pens) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Marius Jonker. Crowd: 18,011.

CA Technologies Brumbies
1. Ben Alexander
2. Huia Edmonds
3. Dan Palmer
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Colby Faingaa (replaced by Peter Kimlin)
7. Julian Salvi (replaced by Michael Hooper)
8. Ita Vaea
9. Josh Valentine (replaced by Pat Phibbs)
10. Matt Giteau
11. Franky Fainifo (replaced by Robbie Coleman)
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Anthony Hegarty
17. Salesi Ma’afu
18. Peter Kimlin
19. Michael Hooper
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Matt Toomua
22. Robbie Coleman